Major research interest is the study of New Zealand English (NZE). Including:
- Historical analysis within the Origins of New Zealand English Project (ONZE) with colleagues in the Department of Linguistics
- Acoustic analysis of the vowel system of modern NZE
- On-going changes within the NZE sound system
- The relevance of sound change for speech-language therapists.
Other research areas:
- The relationship between English and Maori in the pronunciation of Maori speakers
- Sound change over time in Maori; Analysis of Maori English
- Analysis of change in the speech of people with Alzheimer’s disease.